Friday 7 September 2012

Coconut Chicken Curry

 
I stood before the mountain of curry gastronomy and took my first timid steps. Halfway through I almost admitted defeat and cried out in frustration to my maman “My curry tastes like shit!” in which she raised a sarcastic eyebrow “Hmmm, have you tasted shit before...” and preceded to give me her non-text-book-acquired wisdom of ‘How to fix anything’. A pinch of this, a splash of that et VOILA! A curry I can admit I made, with chest puffed out gallantly and a strut that would knock Naomi Campbell off the runway. This recipe is quick, easy and uses basic ingredients but still has a wicked depth of spicy taste and heat.

Ingredients
2tbs veg oil
750g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed & cut into thirds
2 potatoes chopped into cubes
1 lge handful of green beans
1can of bamboo shoots
1 onion sliced into thin wedges
2 garlic cloves chopped finely
1tsp ground turmeric
2tbs red curry paste
1 lemongrass stem, trimmed, bruised & thinly sliced
1sml red chilli, deseeded & sliced thinly (if you like hot curries add another chilli or seeds)
1can of coconut milk
15 fresh curry leaves
1cup fresh coriander leaves
½ lime juiced
Cooked Jasmine rice (I cooked mine with a can of coconut cream and thinly sliced spring onion)
Coriander sprigs & lime wedges to serve

 Method
1. Boil potatoes in seasoned water
2. Heat oil in a wok or frying pan over high heat. Add half the chicken and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. You want to sear the chicken without cooking it the whole way through. Transfer to a plate and cook the remaining chicken.
3. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add onion and garlic, using a wooden spoon sautee until the onion is transparent. Add turmeric, curry paste, lemongrass and chilli. Cook for 1 min or until aromatic.
4. Stir in coconut milk and curry leaves. Add potatoes, green beans and bamboo shoots. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Return chicken to wok and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until chicken is tender. Stir.


Easy as pie right? I then translated the recipe into French which took longer then making the actual curry!


 
Im a glutton for punishment I know
 
Listening to: Aretha Franklin-I dont want nobody

No comments:

Post a Comment