Sunday 22 July 2012

French Introductions

Okay, first things first! How to meet ‘n’ greet. This is my first entry on my endeavour to immerse myself in a new culture, so don’t shoot me for breathing. Let me just say I’m no expert, just riding first class on the knowledge train throwing my Hansel and Gretel trail along the way, vous comprendez?

Basic Greetings & Salutations:
Formal (for adults, strangers or anyone you wouldn’t usually say; “How’s it hanging” to

                                                                                English Translation                             Literal Translation
Bonjour                                                             Good morning/Hello                     (bon - good, jour - day)
Bonsoir                                                              Good evening                                 (soir - evening)
Bonne nuit                                                        Good night                                      (nuit - night)
Au revoir                                                           Good bye                                         (revoir - to see again)
 
Informal (for friends, relatives, animals or of course; the garden gnome)
Salut                                                                                                                     
Ça va?                                                                (Ça - this/it, va - is going)

Introducing yourself:
Je me presente                                                Let me introduce myself
Je m’appelle....                                                 My name is...                                    
Je suis...                                                             I am...  
Bien                                                                    Well/Good
Très                                                                    Very
Mon prenom est...                                          My first name is...                           
Et vous                                                               And you (formal)
Et toi                                                                   And you (informal)
Enchanté(e)                                                       Pleased to meet you (feminine)
Comment vous appellez-vous?                    What is your name? (formal)
Comment t’appelle tu?                                  What is your name? (informal)
Comment allez-vous?                                     How are you going? (formal)
Comment ça va?                                              How is it going? ( informal)


Here’s a brief conversation of introduction:
Bonjour, je m’appelle Valerie. Comment allez-vous?
Hello, my name is Valerie. How are you going?
Enchante Valerie, je suis très bien et vous?
Nice to meet you Valerie, I am very well and you?
Je suis bon merci, comment vous appellez-vous?
I am good thankyou, what is your name?
Ah, mon pre nom est Beau.
Ah, my first name is Beau. 

Now to find someone who can practice introductions with me!


Abientot mon amis

No comments:

Post a Comment